Tuesday, September 22, 2015

21 Day Fix Workouts for the Third Trimester - Part I

Can't believe I started the 21 Day Fix well into pregnancy, 38 weeks pregnant in fact??  Well, neither can I!  For most people, starting this journey well into pregnancy wouldn't even be a consideration.  Call me crazy, but seeing as how I knew I wanted this to be part of my post-partum routine, it didn't seem so unusual to get started right away.

**Before starting any exercise regimen, especially while pregnant, you should always consult with your OB or midwife.**  Mine has always been encouraging when it comes to exercise and up until beginning the 21 Day Fix, I was already working out regularly with a combination of the Tracy Anderson Pregnancy Project and running/elliptical.  While that combination was meeting my needs, it wasn't something that I looked forward to nor was it challenging me.

Needless to say, at this point in pregnancy, modifications must be made to complete each workout.  Here are my thoughts on what's worked and what hasn't:

Total Body Cardio Fix:
First off, I love the energy of Total Body Cardio Fix!   In just 30 minutes you feel as though you've gotten a great workout and gained energy, which is hard to do this far along!

Modifications made:
-Followed the woman illustrating the modified moves for most exercises.
-Swapped the "Surrenders" for alternating lunges.
-Swapped abs for more arms using my light weights.
-Drank lots of water throughout!
-Listened to my body!! 



Upper Fix:
 Modifications made:
-Primarily used light weights, although had I focused on upper body strength throughout my pregnancy, I don't think this would have been an issue.
-Modified moves that require you to lay on your back to standing moves instead.
-Took it easy on push ups and planks with the big belly in the way.
-Substituted more arms during abs.

-Drank lots of water throughout.
-Listened to my body!



Lower Fix:
Due to difficulty maintaining my balance, this workout was surprisingly the most challenging so far.  The exact opposite of what I expected!

Modifications made:
-I really had to slow down with all of the moves to maintain balance.
-Used primarily my body weight rather than adding any additional weights to the mix.
-Followed the woman demonstrating the modified moves when necessary.
-Again, drank water throughout.
-Again, listened to my body!


Pilates Fix:
Pilates felt great for stretching the lower abdominal/pelvic area that is difficult to stretch and carries most of the burden this time of pregnancy.  This felt like the most doable of all of the workouts thus far in regards to completing it with fewer modifications.

Modifications made:
-Followed the woman illustrating the modifications when necessary.
-Skipped the moves laying on the stomach.
-Again, drank water throughout.
-Again, listened to my body!



You'll note a  theme throughout:  listen to your body and drink lots of water!  It is so important to listen to your body while exercising in pregnancy.  This isn't time to prove anything to yourself or others.  It takes a lot more work to keep the body moving and every little bit counts!  Even on the days you may not feel up to a full workout, going for a walk or swim is an excellent alternative.

For more third trimester, and soon to be post-partum, 21 Day Fix reviews, follow me on Facebook or contact me about my next Health and Fitness Accountability Group!

No comments:

Post a Comment